Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Lion Sleeps Tonight

And I've told you just how funny he is, but really have neglected to tell you anything funny that he's done. This morning, I was reminded of one my favorite funny "Ben" things.

He talks in his sleep.

Poor thing. He works nightshift, so, when he's out, he's out. He usually does the really funny stuff when he's in the really deep cycle of sleep and never remembers anything he says or does. It's fun to remind him the next day.

This morning, after he tried to hold me down (I wasn't resisting much), I said, "Ok Boosef, I'm getting up now!" He replies, "Potatoes." POTATOES?!?!? Ummmm...

I learned a long time ago to play along. He keeps talking if you do.
I asked, "What kind of potatoes?"
"Mashed."
"With butter?"
"Uh-huh."
"And salt?"
"NO!"
(He never eats salt on anything.)

These have been said out of nowhere and we're both asleep.

"The guy...in the parking lot...selling tshirts..."

"CINNAMON ROLLS!!!!!"

"Andrew! Get the skids! Put 'em at #42!"
(This is a reference to work. There is no one named Andrew at work.)
One morning, I locked myself out of the house. I banged on the door in the garage. I knew he couldn't hear me there. If a train ACTUALLY hit the house, he wouldn't hear it. I ran around to the front door and held my finger on the doorbell. Nothing. Ran around to the backdoor, which happens to be right by our bedroom. I started banging on the door, yelling, "BEN! LET ME IN!!!!!!!"
I could hear him in the bed yelling, "KATIE! LEAVE ME ALONE!" He thought I was in the house, nagging him to get out of bed. This went on for five minutes.
"BEN! OPEN THE DOOR!"
"KATIE! SHUT UP!"
Finally, he swung open the door with this really crazy look on his face. I know this look. He's still asleep.
"What's going on? Are you ok?"
"Ben, I'm fine. I locked myself out."
"Well, how did you get in?"
"You just let me in, dummy!"
My favorite of all time Ben story is the Christmas caroling.

Now, I get REALLY excited about Christmas, but I totally believe that Christmas should not be celebrated until Thanksgiving is complete. But you bet your butt that on Black Friday, I will be in full Christmas spirit! I usually begin answering the phone by singing Christmas carols.

I think that's what he was doing this one night.

We were sleeping and I hear Ben say...
"Hello?...JOOOOOOOOY TO THE WORLD!!!!!!!"

There was no playing along this night. I busted out laughing. He was still kind of asleep and he said, "What? I'm just excited about Christmas!"

Random Fun Fact: According to Wikipedia, "somniloquy" or sleep talking, only occurs in 4% of adults. Funny. I've been told that Ben's dad and his little brother sleep talk.

3 comments:

  1. I'm crying...I'm laughing so hard! I love this boy. What's NOT to love? He's a bright ray of sunshine in our lives :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA-that's hilarious! I enjoyed this post! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. I really enjoy reading your blog. Tell Ben he better not do anything wrong because he will tell you all about it. Poor Guy! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete