Thursday, March 22, 2012

God Gave Me You - Your Birth Story

Tuesday morning when I woke up, I knew it was your birthday. We had scheduled it.

I turned on some music on CMT while we got ready to go to the hospital.

Blake Shelton's version of "God Gave Me You" was playing.

I stood in the bedroom staring at the tv for a minute, and then forced myself to walk away.

I was already a little emotional.

I knew Tuesday, March 20, was going to be a special day.

I hugged your daddy right before we walked out the door and we looked around the house, knowing that when we came back, it wasn't going to be the same. You, who was still my belly at the time, were going to be in your car seat when we walked back through the door and we were going to be bringing you home. For good.

We arrived at the hospital right at 5am, and they immediately began strapping me into the bed with IVs, monitors, and fluids. Dr. Heaton came in and checked on me, and gave the go ahead to begin the Pitocin at 6am.

Contractions really got going not long after that.
All of your grandparents arrived, and then I got my epidural around 10am at 3 1/2 centimeters. I was scared of that epidural, but it quite awesome to feel contractions, but not hurt - and to have some relief from my lower back pain for the first time in 6 months.

Your daddy and grandparents left me alone to go get some lunch after the medicine kicked in. I was able to rest a little, watch my soap opera, and listen to your heartbeat on the monitor.

I knew it would be the last time I would hear your heartbeat like that.
All throughout the day, we progressed really quickly. Your GiGi predicted you would be here by 3pm. Around 2pm, Nurse Teri told your grandparents to leave the room and she began rolling in all the equipment.

It all became very real that you would be with us soon.

Nurse Teri told me to push on the next contraction. Your daddy took his place next to my head, holding on to the side rail of the bed. I pushed through the first contraction, then the next, and then the next.

We watched Peyton Manning's acceptance speech to the Denver Broncos in between contractions.

Dr. Hudson had not made it into the room yet. Nurse Teri said, "Will you press the nurse button?" When the intercom came on, she said, "Can you get stabilization and Dr. Hudson in here...NOW?" And then she told me not to push.

Not pushing is a very hard thing to do when you have a baby crowning.

Three more nurses and Dr. Hudson came in. Dr. Hudson quickly put on his gloves and he and Nurse Teri said some medical stuff back and forth. He sat down and said, "Are you ready?"

Was I ready?

Then he said, "Push until you can't push any more."

On that push, your head was out.

"One more push."

And then you were all out.

"It's a girl! 2:59 pm!"

And then the earth stopped.

You hadn't cried yet.

Dr. Hudson grabbed his suction and pulled some stuff out of your throat and there it was.
The first cry.

The most glorious sound in the whole world.

I burst into tears and Dr. Hudson cut the cord. They laid you on my chest and I saw you up close for the first time.
I had planned all these things I was going to say to you, but none of them came out. All I could do was stare and cry and praise the Lord silently.

You were here and you were perfect.

The nurses took you from me to run your tests and clean you up. Your daddy left me to go be with you and take pictures. They kept yelling things to me about you.

"6 pounds, 2 ounces!"

"20.5 inches long!"
"She keeps sticking her tongue out!"

"She's beautiful!"
I couldn't wait to get my hands back on you.

They wrapped you up tight and gave you to your daddy to bring back to me. I almost melted right off the bed when I saw him kiss your forehead for the first time.
He brought you to me and laid you right on my chest. Again, the tears were flowing. Your beautiful blue eyes were wide open and you were taking in every thing around you.
Once we were ready, your grandparents all came back in. Your GiGi later admitted she had almost made herself sick in the waiting room, wondering how we were doing in there. She was so relieved to hear that everything went so smoothly.

The iPhones were all whipped out and pictures were being snapped left and right. Each grandparent held you for a minute to introduce themselves to you. You were alert for a long time, and quickly snuck your way into everyone's heart in the room. We sang you Happy Birthday around your birthday cake, and then your Paw Paw, BeBe, and Dolly left.

GiGi stayed for a while to make sure that your daddy and I both ate. Soon, I was up out of bed and was able to change into my pajamas to get some rest. I wasn't in a lot of pain, but we were all starting to get tired. Then your GiGi left.

And it was just us three.
We held you and kissed you and loved on you, just like we'd wanted to do for so long. You were finally here - and you were ours.

You spent your nights in the nursery so your daddy and I could sleep before we took you home. You had lots of visitors, and nurses and doctors were in and out of our room to check on you and me. Everyone who came in raved about how beautiful you are. I already knew that, but it makes your mommy feel good when other people say it.
Thursday morning, Dr. Hudson cleared me to go home, and we waited on your final check ups before they cleared you. You were taken for hearing screenings and a few final blood sugar work ups. You scored As on all your tests, and they brought in your discharge papers. When I signed the last one, the nurse cut off your ankle bracelet and said, "OK, she's officially yours!"

Wow. Officially ours. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much.

We put you in your pretty little gown, which both your Uncle Wes and I wore home from the hospital when we were born. Then I tied on your bonnet, which I wore, and then used as a hanky on our wedding day. If your daddy ever gives a boy permission to marry you, you can use it on your wedding day.
But we won't think about that just yet.

We got you in the truck, waved goodbye to the nurses, and started out towards home.

On the way home, "God Gave Me You" came on the radio. Your tiny little fingers gripped mine, and I watched you in silence and wept tears of joy.

God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
For when I think I've lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it's true
God gave me you.

5 comments:

  1. OMG! Can you please STOP making me cry...sheesh. Love you so very much. I can't wait to see/hold that precious child.

    Enjoy Every Moment you have with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty story! It makes me think of the day Eli was born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for y'all! She is perfect and I can't wait to meet her and hold her! Soak up every minute you have with her...you won't believe how fast it goes. I can NOT believe Banks is almost FOUR and Hayes is almost ONE! Love y'all...kiss your beautiful girl for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every single time I see that picture of you and her (with you crying) I get all choked up. Seriously. What a beautiful gift these letters will be when she gets older. :)

    ReplyDelete