Saturday, March 24, 2012

Your Daddy

Let's talk about your daddy for a minute.
Actually, I could talk about your daddy all day, but I'll try to keep the gushing to a minimum.

There are not enough positive adjectives in the English language to describe your daddy and how he has been since you were born.

Amazing. Thoughtful. Kind. Caring. Loving. Sweet. Helpful. Giving. Reliable. Selfless. Awesome. Proud. Serving. Adoring.

And dare I say...Sexy?

Your daddy and I have always had a wonderful relationship, but seeing him with you brings my love for him to a whole new level. The boy I fell in love with years ago seems to have faded into this somewhat familiar man who accepts his new responsibility as a father willingly and openly.

There's a lot to be said about a man who is so excited to be a father. There are millions of men in the world who abandon their children at your age, or stay in their lives only to be a shell of a man who leaves all responsibility up to their mother.

Not your daddy. He is excited to raise you. He wants to change your poopy diapers. He wants to feed you. He wants to hold you and kiss you and love you.

He also desperately wants to help me. He was able to take the first week of your life off from work. One night, I noticed he had not come back to bed after getting up to feed you when you cried. I walked into the living room, and he was giving you a bottle and his pillow was on the couch. I said, "Babe, how long have you been out here?" He said, "A few hours. I wanted you to get some rest."

He always finds ways to make me swoon.
And last night, I was feeling awful. I had not been getting the rest I needed, and I came down with an awful migraine and some stomach issues. You were extremely fussy and I could not figure out what the problem was. You were not sleeping and we were both crying. I finally put you in bed with me (which I am NOT a fan of and it was a last resort), turned on the sound machine on my phone, and we drifted asleep together for a few minutes before your daddy came home.

When he finally got home, he took you from me, grabbed his pillow, and stayed on the couch all night with you so I could sleep.

When I woke up this morning, you were asleep on his chest and you were both snoring. I kissed you both and asked if I could take over. He gladly handed you to me and rolled over. He was exhausted. I would have taken a picture of just how exhausted he was, but he was in just his boxer shorts, and he would have killed me for publishing that for everyone to see.

You and I are extremely lucky to have this man in our lives. He wants nothing more than to provide for and protect us both. You are going to grow up and be his little princess, and he is going to show you off to the world. He is going to torture your first date when he shows up at our front door, and he is going to be at every dance recital and every basketball game he can attend. He is always going to be your first love, and I already pray every night that you'll find a man just like him to marry one day.

I know about this daddy thing. I had a wonderful daddy, who, not surprisingly, was just like your daddy.

Daddies and daughters have a special relationship. A bond that is completely different than ours. I love watching that bond begin to form.
While we were in the hospital, we were settling down after a long day of visitors coming in and out. He was holding you in the rocking chair and I was just watching. He kissed your head, and said to me, "You know, they told me my whole world would change, but I didn't understand until now. They were right. Everything has changed."

Yes, sweet husband, it has.

I've known this for 10 months. He didn't realize it until he was able to actually hold you.

And that is love. A new, refreshing, rejuvenating, sexy love.

You will understand this one day when your husband is holding your firstborn for the very first time. You'll see your heart away from your body like you've never seen before.
It is an awesome and overwhelming emotion that I will not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment