Thursday, March 1, 2012

This Little Piggy

Today is someone very special to me's birthday.


He is one of my bestest friends of all time.


His name is Piggy.


Piggy is originally from Bentonville, Arkansas. When he was a wee piglet, he was moved to Dothan on the big truck. We adopted him from the animal shelter known as the Northside Super Wal-Mart.


There he was in the crate with all the other lovable animals. He was the perfect shade of pink to match my dorm room bedding. He called out to me, "Hey! Pick me! I so cute!"


How could I resist that pudgy body? Those black felt eyes? Those squishy beads?

We became fast friends.


Piggy moved to Troy with me for my freshman year of college. We spent many nights snuggling in the dorm room bed. He consoled me when stupid boys broke my heart. He listened when I needed to cry. He helped me study...sometimes.

But then we had to move home for Mom to take care of us with our thyroid problem. Again, he was always there to rub my tummy, talk about my feelings, or take a good long nap.


He's the greatest snuggle buddy in the whole world.


Piggy wasn't so sure about Ben at first. He was very worried that Ben was going to take his place. But he got over that really quickly after Ben proposed. Of course, Piggy assumed he would be Best Man in the wedding. Ben said no, that the position was already taken. Then he wanted to walk me down the aisle, but Wes was planning on doing that.


So Piggy snuck in the church anyways, and sat on the front pew on the groom's side.


He was very dapper in his tuxedo he picked out just for the wedding. Aunt Net even made sure he had a boutenierre.


Ben was definitely surprised.


Piggy lived with Ben and me until Charlotte moved in. We all decided it would be best that Piggy go live with Mom in Dothan. It was a tough decision, but it's worked out well for everyone involved.


Piggy is the man of the house for Mom.


Piggy has a wonderful personality. He is always quick with a joke.


He has lots of hobbies. He loves to watch Law and Order: SVU, American Idol, and The Young and The Restless. He also watches the girls on The Bachelor.


He jumps on the bed and plays on the computer. He's a very good dancer.


And he LOVES Alabama football. He has a shaker and a tshirt that he got this year. We think the tshirt is good luck because this one season he wore it, Alabama won the National Championship.

He loves country music, but mostly Kenny Chesney. His favorite song is Beer in Mexico.


Piggy loves beer.


His favorite foods are pizza, donuts, ice cream, cookies, cake, and Pasta Roni. He has to keep his figure, you know.


He has lots of friends.


Mostly pigs.


He does have a very special pig friend - Penny.

They've been together quite a while now. Penny does not allow Piggy to get fresh and look under her tutu, although he does try. He is a man after all.


He and Ben are very close.


Piggy really wants to be Ben's deputy, but he doesn't have any thumbs to hold the gun. He's still holding out for a ride in the patrol car so he can make the sirens go off.

Piggy kind of has a superiority complex.


Who can blame him?


For eight years now, Piggy has been with us. He goes everywhere. He always accompanies Mom to our house and to Grandmother's house, although he doesn't particularly care for Grandmother's house. He says the tv is too loud, and Uncle Bill always threatens to cook him.


He always goes with Mom and me on our yearly trips to the beach and Atlanta. He's never been to DC though, for fear that TSA would try to strip search him.

He is VERY patriotic and salutes every time he passes the Statue of Liberty in Birmingham.


Piggy had a very big year this year. He overcame two big fears:


The big metal chicken just outside of Troy.


And he learned that the claw keeps Charlotte away.


Also pictured: Wooly Booly, Wes and Dervon's adopted sheep from New Zealand.


Piggy is really looking forward to being Uncle Piggy in a few weeks.

He had to try out Brooke Allen's crib and mobile just to be sure it was comfortable for her.


He approved.


Piggy is so very loved. We text every night, and try to Skype at least once a week. He waits for us at the top of the stairs when we go to Mom's house. He tries to convince us all the time to move to Dothan. He tells me all the time that I should just get in the car and drive to see him...there's always room in the chair for me.


I've been tempted to do so on more than one occasion.


Happy 8th Birthday, Piggy! I can't imagine life without you! We love you oh so much!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how quickly they grow up!...

    My favorite part of this post was that he wants to be Ben's deputy, but he can't. He doesn't have thumbs. Baha, I laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete