Monday, February 27, 2012

Beautifully Blessed

Eight years ago, I was given one of the biggest blessings in my life.

I was crowned Miss Houston County 2004.

Every year since then, I have been continually blessed by being asked back to emcee Miss Houston County.

I say that I am blessed to do this because of the people who put the pageant together every year. I am also blessed by getting to know the girls competing just a little bit each year. And then I get to watch the girls who win enjoy their year as a Houston County queen, just as much, and hopefully even more, as I did.

This is not a Toddlers and Tiaras kind of pageant. The little girls look like little girls. The older girls are not only judged by stage beauty, but in interview, written communication, and verbal communication - which is definitely the hardest part.

I was there on Friday night when the girls were going into interviews. Some came out disappointed. Some came out embarrassed of their answers. Others came out excited because they felt they had done well.

I remember these moments so well. The fear that the judges would ask me an off the wall question that I wouldn't know how to answer. The last minute "do I have lipstick on my teeth" check. The terrible realization right before you walk into the room that you can't remember your name.

And then the elation of a smooth interview. Five minutes that seemed to go so quickly, and I felt like I still had more to say. A friendship had been formed with the judges, and I knew they would be watching for me while I was onstage.

Or the heaviness of a bad interview. Five minutes seemed to drag on for hours, and I knew leaving the room that they didn't care for what I had to say or my personality. Knowing that it didn't matter what I did onstage, because I wasn't going to win.

Saturday afternoon came and went, and a new Future Little Miss, Young Junior Miss, and Junior Miss Houston County had been crowned. My feet were the size of footballs, and I was able to rest for about 40 minutes before the evening pageant began.

It's always fun to be back in stage hair and make up. Luckily, my BFFS3G was there to help me get glamorous. I can't tease my hair to save my life, so she whipped up some magic on top of my head. I love being dressed up in gowns, sparkly jewelry, and false eyelashes.

Somehow, some way, Jim Massey Formals had TWO dresses that fit my 36 week pregnant body. It was nice to feel pretty, when most times, I feel like a beached whale.

I always open the pageant by singing the National Anthem.

There's a rush right before the pageant begins. Nancy, the stage director, says, "We're starting in two minutes." The curtain is still closed, and I walk to my place in center stage, humming quietly to myself to find my pitch.

The lights go dark in the Civic Center, and Elisabeth welcomes the audience to the pageant.

Then the curtain opens...

I see nothing but blackness in front of me, blinded by the lights, but I know the audience is standing and all eyes are on me. I sing the National Anthem as dignified as I can, always feeling like I've sung the wrong words or left out a phrase.

And these girls from all over the county, bonded by jitters, zipper checks, and ripped panty hose, step out on stage to experience the most wonderful and terrifying three hours of their lives.

The crowd cheers when "their girl" steps into the spotlight. Some opening number dance steps are forgotten, but it doesn't matter. It's exciting. It's fun.

They rush off stage to change into their suits for verbal communication. One by one, they return to draw a word out of a bowl. They each speak on this word - it can be anything - what they feel the definition of the word is, what that word reminds them of, or an anecdote about that word.

It is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. It feels like the word is written in Japanese, and somehow, you muster up some sentences that might make sense, or they might not.

And again, they rush off into the dressing rooms to change into their stunning evening gowns. Gowns of all different colors - red, blue, white, black - covered in sequins, crystals, and satin embellishments. For three minutes, every eye in the audience is on them as they gracefully walk across the stage. This is their moment.

When they step off that stage, it's over. There is nothing more they can do to convince the judges that they deserve the crown.

But it's not just a crown. It's a responsibility.

This year's onstage question was, "Please give three characteristics that would make you a good title holder."

Whitney, who would later be named Miss Houston County, said it best when she explained how being Miss Houston County is a job.

It is a non-paying job, but can be so rewarding if you let it be. It is a job that requires your weekends, your preparation, your loyalty. People know you as Miss Houston County, even when you're not wearing the crown.

For one whole year, you are a role model for little girls who aspire to be princesses. You are a representative for your area and those who live in it. You smile, you wave, you talk to people you've never met. You are always "on."

It's stressful, this glamorous job. There were times that I sat on the back of a convertible in a cute, but not warm enough outfit at 7am on a Saturday morning on a main street of a small town, and I wondered what the heck I was doing.

But it was one of the greatest experiences of my life.
Even now, I am recognized in Dothan as a former Miss Houston County.

I may be 8 years older, and at the current moment, 50 pounds heavier (baby weight and then some), but the title never goes away.

I will always be a part of the Miss Houston County family.

And now we have a new member.

Congratulations, Whitney.
You blew everyone away with your beauty, your charm, and your personality. I almost squealed with excitement when I saw your name written on the line of the results paper.

It's hard to keep a straight face as the emcee when you know who the winner is before everyone else.

Especially when you know she's the perfect choice.

I am excited to watch your year as MIss Houston County. You will realize, if you haven't already, what an amazing blessing you have been given in that crown and banner. You will be an amazing representative for this pageant and the people of Houston County.

And then I go home. I wash off the make up, wash out the hairspray, put on my t-shirt, and I become me again. I snuggle up to the biggest blessing in my life, who tells me I don't need all the "stuff" to make me beautiful, although he told me at least 5 times at the pageant that I looked pretty.
And I realize that the blessings from the Lord never stop.

I was Miss Houston County for one year.

I am Mrs. Ben Parrish for life.

I am Brooke Allen's mommy for life.

Maybe one day, her daddy will let me enter her in a pageant, and it will be yet another bond that she and I can share.

And I won't ever stop telling her that she's beautiful.

Crown or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment