Monday, September 13, 2010

Food, Glorious Food

I ate too much this weekend.

Seriously.

We went to Jackson this past weekend to visit Ben's family. We ate chicken spaghetti, M&Ms, peanuts, sausage, steak, stuffed potatoes, cupcakes, Mexican, and Sonic. All in one weekend. It was delicious.

My poor tummy.

So, I needed to go to Publix (heaven!) today because we had n-o-t-h-i-n-g to eat in our house. I thought all day about what needed to be bought and I just couldn't bear the thought of any more junk going in my stomach.

Katie and Ben will no longer be eating junk. We will be eating fresh and healthy.

Since Ben and I are on opposite schedules, a typical week of dinners for us includes Lean Cuisines, Compleats, Lunchables, PB&Js, cereal, mac & cheese, and Dijourno pizza. We tend to eat fast food every day for lunch because that's the only time we see each other and we stretch lunch time by going somewhere, rather than me driving home.

So much sodium and preservatives in the prepackaged stuff. And $$$$$$$$$.

Don't get me wrong. I love some blue box mac & cheese. There are some nights when all I want is cereal. But my poor husband is suffering. And I look like a single mom with 4 kids when I go through the grocery line with all my single serving lunch box food.

Back to today:
I read up on some recipes and will be cooking at least 3 times a week with fresh ingredients. I will be making enough for Ben to take to work for dinner. I'm not so good at following directions, so I'm making my own recipes up as I go. I am not the world's greatest cook, so I will be using some prepared ingredients, but most vegetables and meats will be fresh.

On this week's menu:
Panko crusted pan-fried tilapia
Chicken fajita tacos with black bean and corn salsa
Cajun pasta with shrimp and andouille sausage

I will keep you posted on how I do. If it tastes awful, I will eat PB&J. I did buy fresh bread.

Random Fact About Charlotte: Charlotte does not play well with others. She tries to be big and bad with dogs bigger than her, but is terrified of smaller dogs and tucks her tail. Solidifies the fact that we will never get a second dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment