Sunday, September 19, 2010

All I Do Is Win, Win Win...

I spent an entire day in Auburn and I didn't die. I only managed to leak that I was a Bama fan to a few people. According to Ben, I did not embarrass him! I even cheered for Auburn!
But, I could not physically bring myself to say those dreaded words..."War Eagle."

I just couldn't do it.

It just felt wrong. I could clap along to the fight song. I could spell out "A-U-B-U-R-N" during "Glory to Ole Auburn." I could even yell, "Let's go, Auburn!" or "Come on, defense!" because believe me, their defense needed a lot of encouragement, even from a little ole Bama fan like me.

But "War Eagle" just couldn't happen.

There was this precious little boy sitting next to us. (His mom was on the flag line at Auburn, Rebecca, and knew you!) I made friends with him because I love to make friends with little kids. I told him I was a Bama fan, to which he told me, "Boooooo!" Right before the nail-biting overtime, he came over to me and said,
"Are you still a Bama fan?"
I said, "Yeh, in my heart, I'm a Bama fan, but today, I'm cheering for Auburn. Is that okay?"
"Yeh, I guess."
"But you want me to be an Auburn fan forever?"
"YEH!"
At the end of the game, when Auburn finally won due to Clemson's long snapper's stupidity, I leaned over and gave him a high-five. He gave me a "War Eagle."

Spending the day in Auburn is just different than spending the day in Tuscaloosa. It's hard to explain. Auburn fans would say the same if they went to an Alabama game. My heart just wasn't in it. I can understand why Ben is an Auburn fan. The traditions are cool. The eagle flies before the game. You really do get a sense of family when you are in Jordan-Hare.

But it's just not the same as Alabama.

There's something about Bryant-Denny that just gets you going. The years and years of football excellence that have worn the crimson and white. Knowing that Bama has and always will be a respected football powerhouse. Seeing the now 13 National Championships recognized in the stadium. The pre-game videos with Bear's voice saying "I ain't never been nothing but a winner." The Million Dollar Band. Denny Chimes. The Coaches Statues. Everywhere you look, there's crimson and white and the most recent throwback to the houndstooth. The old tradition of the Bear and the new direction of Saban. Respecting the past and recognizing the future. Knowing that good things aren't ending any time soon.

Nothing like it.

So I may have been here Saturday night, but my heart was still crimson.
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Random Game Fact: Clemson has the most classless fans I have ever experienced. I guess in the ACC it's different, but in the SEC, when the other team is performing rituals and traditions, you sit down and shut up. Then it's your turn to do yours, and louder. They were obnoxious. They rank up there with LSU.

5 comments:

  1. Katie dear, I just feel compelled to respond to your final Random Game Fact about Clemson! You must have been unfortunate enough to be sitting near some RANDOM rude Clemson fans, but I have been to NUMEROUS Clemson games, and I must say that Clemson fans are some of the most well-behaved fans of all time. Every university has groups of ill-behaved, obnoxious fans, especially when they are fueled by alcohol, but please don't put those actions to all Clemson fans, and to the entire ACC! Alabama has them, Auburn has them, Georgia, heaven help us as well as LSU. I grew up Auburn, married into Clemson and love both. I heard many many comments from Auburn fans yesterday complementing Clemson, some even said they wished Clemson was in the SEC! Sorry but I have to defend them! I am sorry that you had a bad experience. NOW, thanks for letting me get that off my chest!
    P.S. I LOVE YOU! It's not personal! LOL
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small world! Do you know the mom or kids name?

    Glad to hear you cheered for us! What a good wife you are! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Rhonda - I forgot the Deanhardts were Clemson fans! And you know I love me some Deanhardts! :) They were just so rude, the group that we were sitting around. A lot were students, but there were some adults mixed in too who were just awful. Maybe it was a mob scene that got them more fired up. We did make friends with one Clemson fan who was appalled at the other group's attitude and rudeness. He apologized for their attitudes and foul mouths.

    Rebecca - The kid's name was Jackson and said that Wesley actually worked at the daycare that Jackson went to when he was little! But I didn't get the mom's name. She said she was a senior when you were a freshman or sophomore. She couldn't remember which, but she knew she was older than you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...I KNEW Rhonda was going to get you for that last comment :) And I, like you, pulled for AU in that game last night. BUT those dreaded words never crossed my lips. I just thought they needed to win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that's who it was! Wesley and I both actually worked at the daycare. He's a neat kid.

    She is actually from Dothan, but her family no longer lives there.

    ReplyDelete