Monday, October 11, 2010

The Music Man

I love music.

Everyone who knows me knows I love music.

Good music you should feel in your soul. It should hit right in your core. It should bring up feelings from the past or get you thinking about the future. It should make you weep with sorrow or tap your toes with joy. Good lyrics should relate to you on several levels and at several different points in your life.

Or it could just be a great song that puts you in the mood to dance or sing at the top of your lungs or grab your man to lay a juicy one right on the kisser.

Either way, music is essential to life.

Think about it: do you listen to music at work? When you get in the car, do you turn the radio on? When something in life happens, does it remind you of a song? Is music not an important ingredient in your worship service?

I know you dance when no one is looking. Like a maniac.

I have a new theme. Random Music Monday.

On Mondays, I will post a video of a song and a brief description of why I like the song and why I think you would like the song. Then you should listen to it.

Simple, huh?

Today's song is one I just felt in the mood to listen to today. I LOVE John Mayer. Old John Mayer, that is. His new stuff is a little strange and his personal life gets a bit off the wall. I'm having trouble blending the two. But this is off one of my favorite albums of all time, (So much my favorite, that I have already worn out one copy and had to buy another) Heavier Things. Every song on this album is amazing. If I had to choose five CDs to take with me to a deserted island, this would be one of them.

The song is the very first one on the album, called Clarity. It's got a catchy hook, but the lyrics are about his overcoming insecurities, and that they never really go away. Some of my favorite lyric verses of all time are the first few lines of this song...

I worry I weigh three times my body
I worry I throw my fears around
But this morning
There's a calm I can't explain
The rock candy's melted
Only diamonds now remain
By the time I recognize this moment
This moment will be gone
But I will bend the light pretending
That it's somehow lingered on

Pure genius.

Anyways, this is my favorite version of it. Just John and a guitar. What he does best. I suggest pausing your other musical selections at the bottom of this page before playing the video.

Enjoy Random Music Monday. I will return after my trip with Mom!


Random John Mayer Trivia: John Mayer decided he wanted to play guitar after watching Marty McFly in the famous sock hop scene in Back To The Future. Good choice, John.

No comments:

Post a Comment