Monday, February 7, 2011

Lessons Learned

I was saving this post for my birthday in October, but that's a long way away and I feel like I might forget what I want to say, so here goes...

I turn 25 this year.

That's a quarter of a century old.

Ben has already beat me there (he turns 26 in July!).

When did I get older?

I used to feel like a baby. I was always younger than everyone else (the youngest in my freshman college class, in fact) and had to wait for everything to come my way, sometimes an entire year after everyone else (one of my best friends in high school was exactly a year older than me).

I used to think 27 was sooooooo old. Now I realize I'm only 2 years away from that.

Point in case: I thought Aaron Rodgers was at least 30. He's 27, two years older than me. He's now won a Super Bowl.

Then, I realize that I've learned a lot in my 25 years.

1. Liars, cheaters, and bad pizza are facts of life - you just have to search and search until you find people who don't lie or cheat as much and can cook pepperoni correctly.

2. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

3. There is always that one person who wants your job and does everything they can to make you look bad. Your boss knows, and is watching how you handle it to see if it's worth giving your job to the other person.

4. Peanut butter M&Ms and a good episode of The Office make a bad day better.

5. The most loyal part of your life will be your dog. Everyone else will let you down at some point. The dog will be beside you no matter what.

6. High school really didn't matter.

7. Girls will be catty and boys will be stupid. Always. Even into the adult years when you think everyone got over that.

8. You'll always know which friends are going to be your lifelong friends because you won't talk for MONTHS and then when you do, it's like you just talked yesterday.

9. The Bible says, "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord." It doesn't necessarily say it has to be good.

10. There is a difference in "loving" someone and "caring about" someone. You can love someone, but not care enough to take the time to show them you love them. (This is a very important lesson learned.)

11. Just when you think you've got it figured out, God lets you know you don't.

12. Men actually don't care about what women wear. Women care about what women wear.

13. The line between love and infatuation is often blurred.

14. God gave us the ability to discern for a reason. Use discernment.

15. Your past doesn't have to reflect in your present.

16. It's ok to laugh when you don't think you should (i.e. a funeral or that awful wedding reception). Other people might be glad you broke the ice.

17. Before getting married, every Southern woman should know how to make the perfect pitcher of sweet tea. Your husband will appreciate it.

18. Things get more expensive, but your paycheck remains the same.

19. Let your freak flag fly. Everyone is a little odd. Be shameless.

20. Facebook and Twitter are for fun, not for you to tell us all about your illness, reminding me of your child's {insert recent accomplishment}, or that you just went to the bathroom.


21. Hang on tooth and nail when you find a good man, a good job, and a good hair stylist. They are usually hard to come by.

22. There isn't anything that a chilled bottle of Riesling can't fix.

23. K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid. No, I'm not calling you stupid.

24. Spend your money on memories made. Take a trip instead of buying that insanely large TV. The TV will be outdated in a few years, but you won't ever stop laughing at the time you had spinach in your teeth at that awesome restaurant out of town.


25. God already has everything planned out for you. Keep your ear tuned so that you can get there the way He wants you to. You'll get there eventually.

There you go...25 lesssons for 25 years.

I really could write more.

Feel free to contribute.

RANDOM TRIVIA FACT: Christina Aguilera forgot the "ramparts we watched" while singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl Sunday night. She says she got "caught up in the moment" and forgot where she was. At least we know she wasn't lip synching.

RANDOM TRIVIA FACT #2: I'm giving you an extra one because I haven't blogged in over a week! Whitney Houston's famous National Anthem during the World Series WAS lip synched. That's why it was so good.

4 comments:

  1. #8....Case in point...My BFF's from college! I love them! We can pick up right where we left off no matter how long between the episodes of seeing each other!! Thanks for taking that great photo of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I keep lots of different lists and I'm constantly jotting things down. #19 is my favorite I think : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love #25 (: Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading, ladies!

    Michaela, I tend to remind myself often of how big our God is, and how small I am!

    ReplyDelete