Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Your First Trip To GiGi's House

Mommy is falling behind on the blogging.  Its probably because there are some days you just won't let me put you down.

Just saying.

I finally have a minute to write about your first trip to GiGi's house in Dothan.

And yes, you are laying across my lap as I type this.

GiGi and I decided that you and I needed to make the trip to Dothan before I have to go back to work.

So, last Thursday, I packed us up and we hit the road.

Everything was going great.  You slept the whole time, and I didn't have to stop.  You started to fuss a little around Ozark because of all the dadgum stop lights, but I knew we were only 20 minutes from GiGi's house and we could make it there.

WRONG.

About 10 minutes away from GiGi's, I noticed lots of lights on my dash had come on.  Lights I'd never seen before.  "That's weird," I thought.  I texted your daddy about it, but I realized it was 2:30 and he was in roll call at work and wouldn't be able to read it.

About 30 seconds after that, I noticed my dash went dark.  The speedometer froze, mileage disappeared, and all the lights were off.  Then my wheels felt really tight and I felt like the car was barely accelerating.  It started to jump a bit, so I thought, "I'd better pull over right now!"

I'm glad I did, because the car shut off right after I pulled over.  I tried to crank it - nothing.  Tried again - still nothing.

"Don't panic," I told myself, as I fought back tears and rested my forehead on the steering wheel.  "Just breathe and think logically.  You're on one of the deadliest highways in Alabama with an infant.  Take care of her first."

Meanwhile, you were screaming bloody murder in the backseat.  I came around to your side, changed your diaper in the front seat, and gave you a few ounces of formula with you strapped back into your car seat.

After I got you calm, I tried to start the car again.  Still nothing.

Now it was almost 3:00.  I quickly dialed GiGi's school number.  She hopped in the car to come rescue us from the side of the road. I did my best to keep you cool while we waited.

GiGi called a tow truck on the way, and she showed up about 15 minutes after we called.  We followed the tow truck to the dealership and they told us it was probably the alternator and they would have it fixed on Monday.

So we unload ALL the stuff from the car (you take a lot of stuff when traveling with an infant) and moved it to GiGi's car.  We were exhausted when we got to GiGi's house.

Friday, GiGi had to go to work, so we hung out at her house until she was through.  She picked us up and we went to Olive Garden to have dinner with some of GiGi's work friends.  They got to love on you and you got some sweet gifts from them.


Saturday morning, we got all dressed up and headed into town to do my and GiGi's favorite thing to do together - SHOPPING!  We went to a children's store and then to the mall.  You were wonderful and slept the whole time!  You only fussed a little when you were ready to eat.

After the mall, we met some of my bestest friends at Fuzion for dinner.  They had never met you, so they were all excited to see you.  Again, you were an angel at dinner and never made a peep.

After dinner, we went to Mandi and Mark's new house because I had not been there.  I got to meet their new baby, Optimus Prime.  I tried to fit him in the diaper bag, but Mark caught me.  Oh well.

Sunday morning, we went to Calvary!  Everyone oohed and aahed over you.  You got to meet sweet Ms. Beth, who loved your Bubba very very much.  You were great in church, even raised your hands while Rebekah sang, but started to get a little fussy close to the end of the sermon.  I took you to the choir room after we changed your diaper and you ate a bit.

After church, my sweet friends had a party for you!  We invited some good friends of GiGi and me to come over and spend some time loving on you.  We had a blast and I, of course, LOVED showing you off.

With the party hostesses/Mommy's best friends - Jayla, Mandi, Marah, and Rebekah


This stool was mine...It was my time-out stool.  GiGi gave it to you.  Maybe you won't have to use it as much as I did.

Sweet gifts from sweet friends.

Sunday night, we just hung out with GiGi.  She hardly put you down all weekend.  She loves you so so SO much and I know she is sad that she lives so far away from us.

Maybe that will change one day.

Finally, Monday afternoon, we were able to get my car and we headed back to Birmingham.  We were sad to go, but we were so excited to see Daddy and Charlotte!  We missed them a lot!

Here are some more pictures from the weekend...

Just hanging out on your bear mat from Uncle Wes and Aunt Dervon

 You look so tiny on it!

 Taking a bath in your "princess tub" that GiGi bought for you to stay at her house.

Doing Thriller in your sleep.

Wrapped up in your towel.

 Giving me the stink eye.  You do this a lot...

No comments:

Post a Comment