Friday, April 13, 2012

The Faith of Abraham

Every night before bed, we read a Bible story from this book:
Our sweet friend Maegan gave you this book, and it is amazing. It takes Scriptures and writes them in a way for kids to understand it better. The illustrations are gorgeous, which is one of my favorite parts.

But my FAVORITE part is that at the end of every story, it points to Jesus.


In the story of Adam and Eve, Jesus is the Rescuer who will return to welcome God's people back to His presence, which is where they were always supposed to be.

In the story of Noah, Jesus is the ultimate promise that God makes to His people to save us from our evil ways.

In the story of Abraham and Sarah, Jesus is the perfect son who comes from Abraham and Sarah's lineage.

In the story of Abraham and Isaac, Jesus is the Lamb of God that is the final sacrifice of atonement.

While reading the story of Abraham and Isaac to you, I gained a whole new perspective. I wept and wept as I read it.

Until now, it has just been a story. God told Abraham to take his son to the top of the mountain and sacrifice him. Because of his faith and obedience, God stopped Abraham from killing Isaac, provided a lamb in the thicket, and rewarded Abraham by making the most holy lineage from him.

But as I held you in my arms in the rocking chair and read you this story, I suddenly realized the pain Abraham must have felt on this day.

Here was God, the God who he had followed and obeyed his entire life, telling him to kill his son. Not just his son, but his only son. A son that he thought he could never have because Sarah was unable to conceive. His pride and joy. The only hope for his family to continue.

But Abraham obeyed. He led his son up the hill, carrying his knife and ropes. He even had Isaac carry the kindling for the sacrificial burning. He laid the wood down and then tied his son to the altar. He raised his hand, holding the knife...
What was Abraham thinking? Were his thoughts prayerful or angry? Did he weep? Was Isaac looking up at him lovingly? Did Isaac understand at all what his father was about to do?

Did Abraham even understand?

I couldn't do it. I could not have the faith of Abraham. My flesh would certainly get in the way. Because YOU are my flesh. I would have done everything I could to resist God and His direction.

You are the most precious gift I have ever received and I would choose your life over mine any day.


But Abraham obeyed. As he raised his hand to sacrifice his only son, God stopped Abraham's arm from moving. He told Abraham to untie Isaac from the altar, and then Isaac spotted the lamb in the thicket. They then sacrificed the lamb, and praised God for His provision.

Abraham was told by God that because of his faith and obedience, the Hebrew nation would be built from Isaac. His family would live on for centuries, and the Messiah would be born of it. This Messiah would be Jesus. He would be the Lamb of God. He would not be found in a palace or a rich man's house. He would be born in a stable. He would be raised a carpenter. Then He would be the Rescuer of all sinners.

Every time I look at your beautiful face, I am reminded of this story. I cannot imagine laying you on a physical altar of sacrifice, but I can offer my own life as a sacrifice of praise to the same God who commanded Abraham. He is the same God of Isaac, Jacob, Daniel, David, Jeremiah, Esther, John, Paul, and Peter.

He is the same God today as He was in Bible times. He will not command me to sacrifice you. But oh, to have the faith of Abraham. To follow a commandment as grave as this one, no questions asked, no bargaining made.

I pray as you grow up that you will have strong faith. That you will be able to follow God, no questions asked, no bargaining made. This is, by far, the most difficult task you will ever be faced with because you are human. You will often think that you know better than God.

Trust me. You don't.

I can say this because I often think that I know better than God, and choose my own path rather than His.

I love you, Brooke Allen. You are my most precious gift, and I promise to do my best to be an example of faith to you throughout your life. I will not be an Abraham, but I hope that my life will be living proof that faith works.

No comments:

Post a Comment