Saturday, November 20, 2010

How Great is Our God!

I am such a terrible blogger.
I apologize to you, 11 readers.
Life has been SO BUSY.
Catch u
Ben is through with his job as of November 13th. I am now married to an unemployed bum.
I lie. We totally joke about that. He's not really unemployed. He took a buy-out at his old job, so he's technically still getting paid to sit around for a while.
But it is hilarious to joke about it.
He always asks me, "How was work today?"
I tell him all about it, and then I usually ask him, "How was work for you today?"
Now, he has something entertaining to say.
"It was a really hard day today, Katie."
"I sure hope I get paid for all the work I did today."
I've asked him to do a few things around the house and the current retort is,
"Well, what else am I gonna do?"
And then that precious little crooked smile.
Love it.
TEST RESULTS!!!!!
He passed the Dothan Police test with an 84!!!!! He is ranked 6th! My man is a genius!!!
I am so freaking proud of him.
We were a little worried about the written test. Bless him, but he is super ADD. No, seriously, actually took medicine for it in high school. He is very smart, but doesn't do well when it comes to testing. We knew that if he could get past this written test, everything else is gravy as far as the physical test and background checks and such.
But he did it! Praise the Lord!
Funny story...we found out about his test results on Thursday night.
The Monday before, he got a lovely little packet in the mail...from the State of Alabama Department of Public Safety.
It was a letter from the State Troopers asking Ben if he was still interested to call Mrs. Williams at DPS Personnel by November 29th to schedule his physical test for December 6th.
STILL INTERESTED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
This is all my hubs has ever wanted to do. This is all I've ever heard about.
Troopers. Troopers. Troopers. Troopers. Troopers.
(kind of a funny word if you say it a bunch)
He has been corresponding with a Trooper by email since he took the written test almost two years to the date ago. A few months ago, he said that they didn't forsee having a Trooper academy at all next year and maybe not even the next year. Ben had given up on Troopers until the economy (hate that word) turned back around. He was just going to join a local force and get experience until the Troopers were ready to hire again.
In other words, Troopers were the furthest thing from our mind on Monday, November 15th.
When he began reading the letter out loud to me Monday night, I busted into tears. Raw emotion. Pure happiness. This is exactly what he wanted. And it came to us on his first day of unemployment. The day that was supposed to be the scariest. Things were so uncertain.
How great is our God!
Now there's somewhat of a plan. We've decided to keep Ben out of work through the holidays, just to keep from causing scheduling conflicts with our umpteen families through Thanksgiving and Christmas. He wants to go back to school in the spring to start working towards his 4 year degree again (he never finished and really only has like a year and a half left). Pay is higher when you have a degree. :) Then he'll get a part time job in the meantime just so he's not stuck in the house all day long driving me nuts. Trooper Academy is scheduled to begin in June, so testing and background checks and interviews will take place intermittenly between now and then.
And then he goes to Selma for 24 weeks for Academy. I'll think about that later.
But, he's going to continue on with the Dothan Police also. We don't want to place all of our eggs in one basket and then be left with none when one falls through. He'll make a decision further down the road.
So, that's where we are. I am so proud of Ben. Please, someone give him a badge. :)
Random Trivia Fact: The letter he got from the DPS said there are Trooper shortages in all 67 counties of the state of Alabama. Makes you feel really safe, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment