Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Trail

Your big sister, Charlotte, has been feeling a little depressed since you've come home.

She knows she's not queen of the roost anymore, and she's had a few fits of jealousy.  She's never shown any aggression towards you (in fact, I caught her kissing you the other day), but she steals your blankets and burp cloths.  She needs attention, and most importantly, she needs exercise.  Unfortunately, we haven't been able to give her enough of either.

So your daddy and I decided to take advantage of the sunny day today and get out of the house.  We put Charlotte on the leash and you in the Baby Bjorn and walked the trail at Ross Bridge.


It was beautiful weather.  The trail provides just the right amount of shade and a nice breeze, so I didn't worry about you getting sunburnt or too hot. 

Charlotte loved being able to explore a new place.  She went back and forth in front of Daddy, sniffing everything.  She loves being outside and getting exercise.


You were perfectly content in the Bjorn right up next to my chest.  You stayed awake pretty much the whole time.  You love being outside, too.

Walking the trail today gave your Daddy and I good quiet time to talk, and for me to think.


We came across an open area, and I could just imagine a birthday party for you there when you're older.  Picnic tables, balloons, cupcakes, and bug spray.  You and your friends playing tag in the fresh air.  Parents standing around, enjoying watching their kids do something besides video games.

As we walked, we talked about how much fun we will have here on Saturday mornings, taking you for walks.  I can see you running all over the place, picking flowers and Daddy teaching you how to skip rocks in the stream.  Squealing with delight when you find a bug and asking questions about the nature around you.

It made me realize that one day, you're going to grow up.  You won't fit in the Baby Bjorn anymore.  You won't want to ride up close to my chest.  You'll want to be free.  Instead of me holding you, I'll be chasing you.

I don't think I'm ever going to be ready for you to grow up.  I love you as a baby.

But then I remember that you're always going to be my baby, no matter how old you are. And you will be so much fun when you really begin to learn and play.  
So, today, I hold you as a baby, trying to capture every little moment in my memory, so that one day, when I watch you run down that trail, I can remember how far you've come.  How far we've come.

1 comment: