Friday, December 16, 2011

Graduation Day

On December 9th, Ben FINALLY graduated from Police Academy!


OH, how we have waited for this day!


Here are a few pictures from the graduation ceremony, held at the BJCC. And by a few, I mean 10.


This is his class marching in. There were 56 graduates.

Which so happens to be the same amount of people I graduated high school with. Blows Ben's mind, since he graduated with hundreds.

During the ceremony, they played a slideshow of the things they did in the Academy - learning tactics, searches, driving, directing traffic, etc. I include this picture of the slideshow because right smack in the middle is Ben on the worst day of his life - being MACED. He said it was so painful, he'd rather be shot than maced again.

The day he came home from being maced, he looked like he had been stung by a bee. His eyes were all swollen and his face was tomato red. They told him water would reactivate it, but it would also help get rid of it. So he decided to be brave and get in the shower in the guest room where there's more space. He said, "If you hear me screaming, leave me alone." Naturally, I hung around the bathroom door because I can't stand the thought of him being in pain. I heard him whimpering, heard him hit his knees in the shower, and then I heard some bad words. The water turned off and he screams, "KATIE! GET ME A FAN! I NEED A FAN!" So, I ran to the bedroom and got our tower fan that I use in the bathroom when it gets hot. I plug it in in the hall and put it in the bathroom floor, and he sat in front of it holding his eyes open to let the air cool them off. Poor baby. But it did get better after that!



After the slideshow, he and his classmates took the Oath of Office.



Then they each received their badge from the Chief of Police.



Also standing with Chief Roper is Attorney General Luther Strange and a representative from the Mayor's office. Mayor Bell couldn't attend because he was in China at a business summit.

Returning to his seat as Officer Parrish.

A picture of the patch on his sleeve.

Pictures together afterwards. Isn't he handsome in his uniform?

A picture with his family that came to support him. We are all so thrilled!




After graduation, we had everyone over to our house for lunch. We had a great visit with family and had lots of yummy food to eat!

Ben, I am SO PROUD of you and what you have accomplished. You are a strong, caring, and moral man - all of these characteristics will make you an excellent officer. Even when this journey seemed impossible, you stuck with it and achieved a dream you have had since you were a little boy. I love you to the moon and back and I will never stop being proud of the man that you are!









1 comment: